Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India examination administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB) - GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), and Government of India.
The GATE committee, which comprises of representatives from these administering institutes, is the sole authority for regulating the examination and declaring the results.
GATE is conducted through the constitution of Eight Zones. The zones and the corresponding administrative institutes are:
- Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
- Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
Admission to postgraduate programmes with MHRD and some other government scholarships/ assistantships in engineering colleges/institutes is open to those who qualify through GATE.
Candidates are eligible for admission to Master/Doctoral programmes in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture as well as for Doctoral programmes in relevant branches of Science with MHRD or other government scholarships/ assistantships.
The overall co-ordination and responsibility of conducting GATE lies with Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, which is designated as the Organizing Institute for GATE.
Eligibility Criteria for GATE Exam
Those who wish to do GATE must passes any one of the following qualifications.
- Candidates with Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/ Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/ Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by IE(I), AMICE(I) by the Institute of Civil Engineers (India)-ICE(I)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
If you possess any qualification equivalent to the above, still then you are eligible to apply for GATE.
To avail the scholarship, the candidate must secure admission to such a postgraduate programme, as per the prevailing procedure of the admitting institution.
Candidates with Master’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture may seek admission to relevant PhD programmes with scholarship/ assistantship without appearing in the GATE examination.
How to Apply?
Candidate can apply with online Application process only.
Application Fee Details for GATE
For General & OBC candidates, Rs. 1500/- only
For women Candidate Rs. 750/- only
For SC/ST/PD Candidate Rs. 750/- only
Candidates can pay application fee either by online payment mode or offline payment mode (with bank challan via SBI or syndicate Bank)
For GATE 2015, as in GATE 2014, all candidates’ related information will be available in a single GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). Candidates have to register and fill the application via ONLINE mode only by accessing any of the zonal GATE websites of IISc and seven IITs. Candidates must upload his/her photograph and signature during online application. The application process is complete only when a print out of the filled ONLINE application with the candidate’s signature and a good quality photograph affixed in the appropriate place is received by the respective GATE offices along with necessary documents, if any, on or before its last date of submission.
NOTE: Application forms are not available for sale anywhere else.
Downloadable Admit Card
Admit cards will NOT be sent by e-mail/post. Admit cards can ONLY be downloaded from the zonal GATE websites. The candidate has to bring the printed admit card to the test center along with at least one original (not photocopied / scanned copy) and valid (not expired) photo identification.
NOTE: One of the following photo identifications is ONLY permitted: Driving license, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, College ID, Employee identification card, or a notarized affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address. The details of this ID proof have to be given while filling the online application.
1. Candidates are advised to have a digital photograph and scanned signature prior to starting the filling of application and these should be uploaded when applying Online. Otherwise they have to submit it later.
2. SC/ST and Disability Certificate should be obtained from appropriate authority. The Certificate should also be scanned so that it can be uploaded when applying online.
NOTE: The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. The candidate is, however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
All India Rank will decide on the basis of your marks obtained and maximum marks obtained in the GATE Exam. Candidate in each paper will have individual AIR.
Percentile will decide your overall performance with respect to total number of candidate appeared in your stream and branch.
To calculate your GATE PERCENTILE follow:
Number of Candidates Appeared - Your AIR
Number of Candidates Appeared
Normalized Mark for GATE
In GATE-2014, examination for CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers is being held in multi-sessions. Hence, for these papers, a suitable normalization is applied to take into account any variation in the difficulty levels of the question papers across different sessions. Calculation of Normalized Marks for CE, CS, EC, EE and ME papers is given below:
Normalized Mark (Nm) of candidate (jth) in session (ith) is given by:
Mavg - Msd
Tavg - Tsd
(Mact - Tsd) + Msd
||Average marks of the top 0.1% of the candidates considering all sessions
||Sum of mean and standard deviation marks of the candidates in the paper considering all sessions
||Average marks of the top 0.1% of the candidates in the ith session
||Sum of mean and standard deviation marks of the ith session
||Actual marks obtained by the jth candidate in ith session
GATE-2014 score will be calculated based on Normalized Marks
New formula derived to calculate GATE-2014 score is:
|GATE SCORE =
Sq + (St - Sq)
M - Mq
Mt - Mq
||Actual marks obtained by the candidate (Normalized marks for different session papers)
||Qualifying marks for general category candidate in paper
||Mean marks of top 0.1% or TOP 10 (whichever is greater) of the candidate appeared in the Paper
||350, is assigned to Mq
||900, is assigned to Mt
In the GATE-2014 score formula, Mq is usually 25 marks (out of 100 marks) or summation of mean and standard deviation of all the candidates appeared in the paper, whichever is greater.
General Information & Instructions for GATE Exam
- Gate exam will be conducted online only.
- Digital signature and photograph is mandatory to complete online application process.
- Validity of GATE SCORE card is three years.
- Public Sector undertaking companies may consider current year GATE SCORE card as per their terms.
- Candidate who seeks admission in India and abroad for PG &Research course will full fill the admission criteria of corresponding university.
- Each university and their inter departments prepare their own separate merit list according to the number of application reached to each department.
- Separate application form fills & fee pay by the candidate to seek admission in inter departments of same college or university.
- Candidate should fill preferences as per their GATE SCORE.
- Some College or Universities and may conduct written test or Interviews for individual inter departments.
- No college or university offers admission to student with pending backlogs in graduation.
- Original GATE SCORE card will be submitted by college or university for Scholarship/Assistance ship process.
- To continue scholarship at last semester, student must score at least 6.5 CGPA or 70% in their each semester results.
- No claims and queries will be entertained by GATE committee after deceleration of result.
- NIT’s conduct central Counseling for PG admissions.
Important Notifications for GATE Exam
|Enrolment, Application Filling, Application Submission
|Last Date for Enrolment
|Last date for Submission of Online Application
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City
|Display of examination schedule
|Availability of Admit Card
|GATE Mock Test
|GATE Online Examination
|Announcement of Results