Engineering Services Examination is abbreviated as IES are the civil services that meet the technical and managerial functions of the Government of India.
IES officers are selected by the union government on the recommendations made by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
A combined four-stage competitive examination (comprising six tests), called the Engineering Services Examination (ESE) is conducted by the UPSC, India every year for the recruitment to the four categories of engineering services:
1. Civil Engineering
2. Mechanical Engineering
3. Electrical Engineering
4. Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
Candidates are placed as Assistant Executive Engineer in various organizations at the time of selection. After three to four years of service, they can work in the postof Executive Engineer which is equivalent to Under Secretary to Government of India. Those who have 20 years of service will be promoted to the post of Chief Engineer level-1. Engineers having professional experience of 32 years will be posted as Secretary to the Government of India.
- For Engineering Services Examination, UPSC conducts the Indian Forest Service Exam generally in the month of June or July.
- Notification of the Examination commences in the month of January or February
21-30 years (Upper age limit relaxable for SCs/Sts, OBCs and certain other categories)
Degree in Engineering or equivalent. M.Sc Degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject also acceptable for certain posts.
A candidate must be either
- A citizen of India
- A subject of Nepal
- A subject of Bhutan
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and
- Above shall be a person in whose favor a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued by the Government of India.
Minimum Educational Qualification
For admission to the examination, a candidate must have:
- Obtained a degree in Engineering from a University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other Educational Institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as Universities under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956; or
- Passed Sections A and B of the Institution Examinations of the Institution of Engineers (India)
- Obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/ College/Institution and under such conditions as may be recognized by The Government for the purpose from time to time.
- Passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India).
- Passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India.
- Passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November, 1959.Provided that a candidate for the post of Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering Posts) and Engineer, Gr. 'A' in Wireless Planning & Coordination Wing/ Monitoring Organisation may possess any of the above qualifications or the qualification mentioned below:
- M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject.
- NOTE-1: A candidate who has appeared at an examination the passing of which would render him educationally qualified for this examination, but has not been informed of the result, may apply for admission to the examination. A candidate who intends to appear at such a qualifying examination may also apply. Such candidates will be admitted to the examination, if otherwise eligible, but their admission would be deemed to be provisional and subject to cancellation, if they do not produce proof of having passed the requisite qualifying examination along with the Detailed Application Form which will be required to be submitted by the candidates who qualify on the result of written part of the examination.
- NOTE-2: In exceptional cases, the Commission may treat a candidate, who has not any of the qualifications prescribed in this rule, as educationally qualified provided that he/she has passed examinations conducted by other institutions the standard of which in the opinion of the Commission justifies his/her admission to the examination.
- NOTE-3: A candidate who is otherwise qualified but who has taken a degree from a foreign University which is not recognized by Government, may also apply to the Commission and may be admitted to the examination at the discretion of the Commission.
How to Apply?
Candidates must apply online by using the website www.upsconline.nic.in Salient Features of the system of Online Application Form are given here under:
- Detailed instructions for filling up Online Applications are available on the above mentioned website.
- Candidates will be required to complete the Online Application Form containing two stages viz. Part-I and Part-II as per the instructions available in the above mentioned site through drop down menu.
- The candidates are required to pay a fee of Rs. 200/- (Rupees Two Hundred Only) [excepting SC/ST/Female/PH candidates who are exempted from payment of fee] either by remiting the money in any branch of SBI by cash or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India/State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/State Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/State Bank of Patiala/State Bank of Travancore or by using any Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card.
- Before start filling up Online Application, a candidate must have his/her photograph and signature duly scanned in the .jpg format in such a manner that each file should not exceed 40 KB and must not be less than 3 KB in size for the photograph and 1 KB for the signature.
- The Online Applications (Part I and II) can be filled from 6th April , 2013 to 6th May, 2013 till 11.59 p.m., after which link will be disabled. Applicants should avoid submitting multiple applications. However, if due to any unavoidable circumstances any applicant submits multiple applications then he must ensure that the applications with higher RID is complete in all respects.
- In case of multiple applications, the applications with higher RID shall be enter- tained by the Commission and fee paid against one RID shall not be adjusted against any other RID.
- The applicants must ensure that while filling their application form, they are providing their valid and active E-mail IDs as the Commission may use electronic mode of communication while contacting them.
- The Applicants are advised to check their emails at regular intervals and ensure that the email address ending [email protected] are directed to their inbox folder and not to the SPAM folder or any other folder.
- Candidates are strongly advised to apply Online well in time without waiting for the last date for submission of Online Application.