GATE Exam 2020
GATE stands for General Aptitude Test in Engineering, is conducted every year to select the engineering candidates for jobs in leading PSUs for higher studies in premier institutes. This year the exam will be conducted by IIT Delhi. Every year one of the IITs along with IISC Bangalore conducts the GATE exam. It is an online test conducted for 24 papers. Through the GATE official portal, GOAPS (GATE Online Application Process Systems), candidates can apply for the test and get all updates till the results are announced.
PSUs hiring through GATE exam
Right from the year 2012, Public Sector Undertakings started considering GATE exam as the main entrance exam for hiring fresher engineering candidates. No separate exam is conducted by these PSUs and on the basis of the GATE score only the candidates are recruited. Candidates will only have to fill in the forms for these companies. All engineering candidates are adviced to keep track of all the hiring well in advance.
Check out the list of PSUs hiring through GATE 2020 exam.
MAHARATNA PSU, NAVRATNA PSU and MINIRATNA PSU
GATE 2020 Exam Details:
|Mode of Exam
||Online (Computer-based mode)
||MCQ and NAT (Numerical Answer Type)
||Only for MCQ’s: 1/3rd for 1-mark questions, 2/3rd for 2 marks questions
- There are 24 Subjects / Papers in GATE Exam. An Applicant can appear only in one of these papers.
- GATE Exam is online / Computer-Based Test.
- The whole process of filling an application form and uploading required documents are online.
- Electronics devices along with physical calculator are not allowed in the examination hall. Students will be provided with virtual gate calculator on the computer screen for calculation purpose.
- GATE Score Card is valid for Three Years from the date of result announcement.
- There is no age limit to appear in GATE Exam.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern
GATE 2020 will contain two different types of questions in all the papers:
Multiple Choice Questions
Numerical Answer Type
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to select the correct answer.
Negative Marking for Wrong Answers: For a wrong answer in a MCQ, there will be negative marking. For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all the papers and sections. For these questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered by the candidate using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor. No choices will be shown for these types of questions. The answer can be a number such as 10 or -10 (an integer only). The answer may be in decimals as well. These questions will be mentioned with, up to which decimal places, the candidates need to present the answer.
There is NO negative marking for a wrong answer in NAT questions.
Important Dates for GATE-2020
|Opening of Online Registration
||03, September, 2019
|Closing of Online Application
||24, September, 2019
|End of Extended Period for Application
||01, October, 2019
||01, 02, 08 and 09 February 2020
||16 March, 2020
How to Apply
Applications for GATE 2020 will be accepted through online mode. To apply for GATE 2020, follow the following steps:
1.To start the process, candidate has to register on the GOAPS portal first. The candidate is supposed to fill basic information like name, email id and mobile number. It is advised to choose a strong password and to remember it at the same time. After registration, an enrollment number will be generated.
2. After this, rest of the details will be filled. Under this step, you will choose the subject you are giving GATE 2020 in.
3. Uploading the photograph and scanned signature is done in this step. For the candidates applying under a category, they need to attach the category certificate here.
4. Last step for applying for GATE 2020 will be to pay the application fee. Payment can be made online via credit, debit cards or net banking. Application fee varies for different candidates.
GATE-2020 Application Fee
|SC, OBC, ST, General
||Transgender, Male, Female
|SC, OBC, ST, General
GATE 2020 Exam Code
|Architecture and Planning
|Computer Science and Information Technology
|Electronics and Communication Engineering
|Ecology and Evolution
|Geology and Geophysics
|Production and Industrial Engineering
|Textile Engineering and Fiber Science
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory)
|Polymer Science and Engineering
|Chemistry Mathematics (Compulsory)
Tips to Crack your GATE Exam
With just a few months left for GATE 2020, you don’t really have time to take chances. It has to be done in a right way or you may not achieve your target score. The best way would be to choose a right coaching institute for GATE 2020. Before we discuss this any further, please note that self study is inevitable but it has to be coupled up with regular checks. When there is someone or somewhere you have to report to each day, your commitment just gets a lot more serious.
1. Take regular test series. It helps you evaluate your preparation; give you a direction to work in the right track.
2. Mock tests conducted by coaching institutes for GATE exam gives you a virtual experience of the actual GATE exam. If you join a good institute, it gives you a clear idea of where you stand on the national level.
3. A good coaching institute for GATE exam also helps save your time to look for good study material. With years of experience and understanding of both, the exam as well as the subjects, the study material curate by experts is definitely the best thing you can have.
4. As mentioned earlier, preparation is actually a process. So you do have to segregate it into steps. Breakdown the syllabus into steps keeping some time for the revision. Again, a mentor or a guide can help you keep your targets on track.