GATE Exam Pattern
There will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks.
- Q.1 - Q.25 (25 questions) carry one mark each (sub-total 25 marks)
- Q.26 - Q.55 (30 questions) carry two marks each (sub-total 60 marks)
- Q.56 - Q.65 belong to General Aptitude (GA)
- Q.56 - Q.60 (5 questions) carry 1 mark each (sub-total 5 marks) and questions
- Q.61 - Q.65 (5 questions) carry 2-marks each (sub-total 10 marks)
- Q.48 - Q.51 (2 pairs) are common data questions
- Question pairs (Q.52, Q.53) and (Q.54, Q.55) are linked answer questions
Note: The answer to the second question of the linked answer questions depends on the answer to the first question of the pair. If the first question in the linked pair is wrongly answered or is unattempted, then the answer to the second question in the pair will not be evaluated.
- For Q.1 - Q.25 and Q.56 - Q.60, ⅓ mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- For Q.26 - Q.51 and Q.61 - Q.65, ⅔ mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- The question pairs (Q.52, Q.53), and (Q.54, Q.55) are questions with linked answers. There will be negative marks only for wrong answer to the first question of the linked answer question pair i.e. for Q.52 and Q.54, ⅔ mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- No negative marking for Q.53 and Q.55.
- Questions on Engineering Mathematics will carry about 15% of the total marks (excluding General Aptitude section) in all the papers.